Before every flight you will see the same scene: people franticly walking in circles looking desperately for the power outlets so they can charge their devices before the next leg of their travel. There are over one million external battery chargers available for sale on Amazon alone, yet we often pay more attention to the energy level of our devices than our own energy.
If you had a battery energy indicator, what percentage is your personal energy at right now? 100% fully charged or are you getting a Low Battery Warning on your own energy?
Of course everyone knows the logic of getting the sleep, exercise, and nutrition for optimum performance, but when life gets in your way, here are three ways to get rapidly get back on track.
1. Know how to operate in your Low Battery Mode.
- Your phone in low battery mode doesn’t try to do everything, and neither should you. This is one time when you can dial up your ruthlessness to unprecedented levels. Only focus on the absolutely time critical and impactful aspects of your work and life.
- Set a time limit for when you will emerge from your Low Battery Mode. Let people around you know that you are intentionally operating differently for a while.
2. Know your rapid rechargers
- When you are exhausted, you need a rapid recharge but your time is more precious than ever. This is when you get to be incredibly selfish. Know who the people are, who after speaking with them, boosts not crushes your energy. I was talking to a leader at an executive retreat I was leading in Portland this week. They had just started a new role and realized that it had been two months since they had last gone for a run as they had been so excited and absorbed with their new role. They decided they were going to prioritize running again as their rapid recharger, what is yours?
3. Ask your OPQ – One Powerful Question
- What do you have energy to commit to doing right now? Your OPQ is powerful because it doesn’t focus on what you should be doing or what you think you will do, but simply what you have the energy to commit to right now.
Don’t try and start everything from scratch. Rather than committing to a triathlon, a full on restrictive eating plan, AND eight hours sleep a night, just pick one thing.
Dedicated to growing your business,